The basic requirements to become an ASE Master Mechanic and prove you are in class of your own!
There are two requirements for becoming an ASE master mechanic, the first, is you need to take and pass a series of tests for each section. The second requirement is a document showing 2 years of relevant work for each section.
As an ASE Master Mechanic recertification tests are once every five years. AND THIS IS CRUCIAL! Failure to renewing even one license will cause to lose your Master Mechanic status. In the event a Master Mechanic does lose their status, they do have the opportunity to retake the exam and regain their status.
Testing Requirement for ASE Master Mechanic certification
- • Light Car and Truck test series requires A1-A8 Tests; the A9 Diesel Engines certification is not required. Get the Light Car and Truck ASE test prep books.
- • Collision Repair Series requires the B2-B5 exam only. (Collision Repair Certification Study Books)
- • Medium and Heavy truck section requires tests T2-T7, the T1 and T8 PMI are not required.
- • School Bus section requires the S1-S6 with the exclusion of the S7 air conditioning systems and Controls exam
- • Transit Bus series requires tests H1 or H2 and H3-H8 exams.
- • Truck Equipment Series requires E1-E3 sections.
How become a master mechanic for medium- heavy vehicles with the following mechanic certifications
ASE Master Mechanic in Medium-Heavy Vehicles are earned by taking test 2-7 in either medium-heavy truck, school bus, or transit bus test series. This is not available to current Master Mechanics in 1 of 3 other series.
- Diesel Engines Section requires at least one of the following H2, S2, or T2
- Drive Train Section requires at least one of the following: H3, S3, or T3. ;
- • Brakes section requires H4, S4 or T4 sections.
- Suspension and Steering Section requires at least one of the following H5, S5 or T5
- Electrical/ Electronic Systems requires at least one of the following H6, S6 or T6
- Heating Ventilation and A/C certification exam requires at least one of the following: H7, S7 or T7